Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Attitude and Encouragement

I know it has been a while since my last post and as most of you know my family is going through a lot and with the Christmas break we have for school...I haven't taken the time to write. I hope this year I will do better.
I was thinking about this past year and the things I would do different and etc. I really want to work on my ATTITUDE towards well, everything! I seem to.. especially lately, get a bad attitude and I don't like how this makes me feel or how I treat others when I have it. I also want to see opportunities to help encourage other people. Over the last several months, I have had so many wonderful people encourage me and I want to return the favor and help others. Even if it is a small has a pat on the back or a smile, I want to encourage others to not give up and keep the faith. In one of the devotions for today I came across this scripture: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds." James 1:2 (NIV) Okay, I for one have never considered a trial joy....especially the one I am still working on since OCT. But, has I look back since the beginning I can see God's hand in every step of the way. How awesome is that? There have been days that I have been so embarrssed and frustrated and just tried to figure out "what in the world is happening to us?" that I would pray for God to just take me away... to open the floor up and let me fall in. I have felt discouraged and defeated to the point that I just wanted to stay in bed and not look out from the covers. I have cried to the point there were no tears and also got to the point that I couldn't even pray (I really hate to admit this). Then I would get scared and think if I can't pray then what is going to happen to my family? When I was at this point.....I had assurance that someone was praying for me and my family. These times, a friend would call and say "I am praying for you..I just want you to know that God has put you on my heart today and I am praying". Do you know how much that meant to me? That my God cares so much that when I felt so low and having a pity-party that HE would send me a sign! WOW!! I would pull myself up and start to weep and say "THANK-YOU"! I can see how God is using us (my family) and how God is using everyone around me for the prayers and encouragement to face this trial and no longer feel defeated. While victory is not here yet, I can see that my family will be stronger and I give God the glory for all his is doing in my life.
If you're feeling frustrated, defeated and discouraged by the trials in your life, I want to encourage you to look beyound it and to what lies ahead. It can be difficult to face our trials with the kind of spirit that sees great value in disaster, but that's what the Lord expects from us. I want to share this poem that is in the devotion from today. The author is unknown, the poet obviously knows the formula for the foundation of joy.

It's sometimes very difficult
for us to understand
the wisdom and the love behind
the things that God has planned.

But we wouldn't have the rainbow
If we didn't have the rain;
We wouldn't know the pleasure
If we never tasted pain.

We wouldn't love the sunrise
If we hadn't felt the night;
And we wouldn't know our weakness
If we hadn't sensed God's might.

We couldn't have the springtime
or the yellow daffodil
if we hadn't experienced
the winter's frosty chill.

And though the brilliant sunshine
is something God has made.
He knew too much could parch our souls
so He created shade.

So God's given us a balance:
Enough joys to keep us glad,
Enough tears to keep us humble,
Enough good to balance bad.

And if you'll trust in Him you'll see
Though yesterday brought sorrow,
The clouds will part and dawn will bring
A happier tomorrow.

While I typed the poem this song came in my thoughts : Great is Thy Faithfulness, Great is thy faithfulness, moring by morning new mercies I see, All I have needed thy hand hath provided....
Thank-you Jesus for reminding me that you always provide for me! Help me to see beyound the trials to You for the lessons necessary to grow my faith. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Thanks Darlene
For being transparent, for sharing your heart and your struggles, and for sharing how God has and is faithful. Your words have encouraged me today and made me want more of Jesus!!
Love ya!
Tricia

Unknown said...

you've already met your goal for this year. This post has helped me out more than i could explain. Thank you. And I know I haven't told you but i have been praying for you and for your family. I checked your blog almost every day for an update and every time i was here i prayed a prayer for you. Run the race finish the course keep the faith.

Jonathan